Triclosan: Tell Retailers to Stop Selling Triclosan Products
Below you will find sample text asking retailers to stop selling products that contain Triclosan, and we need your help to deliver this message to your local supermarket, cosmetics store or co-op. Hundreds of products that contain this antibacterial chemical decorate store shelves across the country - from hand soap and toothpastes, to toys and yoga mats. It is time to take action and demand that this endocrine disrupting chemical is removed from the products we use.
Ask your local supermarket, cosmetic store, local businesses or co-op to stop selling Triclosan products. Customize the sample letter below (edit the text to be specific to your community) and take it in to your local retailer customer service manager. Please tell us when you do (include store name, city and state), so we can follow-up!
I am writing to <your company> about my family’s concern about the products containing Triclosan that are currently sold at your store. Triclosan is an antibacterial pesticide that is associated with many human health problems, as well as environmental contamination. I believe you should stop the sale of these products because:
- Triclosan and its degradates are associated with adverse health effects, such as endocrine disruption, cancer and long-term bioaccumulation,
- Triclosan creates more potent strains of bacteria, increasing antibacterial and antibiotic resistance,
- Triclosan is accumulating in waterways and soil, resulting in hazardous residues in fish and food crops,
- The efficacy of Triclosan is no greater than regular soap and water.
As a loyal customer, my family, friends and I would appreciate your company taking a stand to protect public health by discontinuing the sale of Triclosan-containing products at your store, and by signing the Triclosan-free pledge for retailers, http://action.beyondpesticides.org/p/salsa/web/common/public/signup?signup_page_KEY=8161, to reaffirm your commitment to the well-being of the community you serve.
I look forward to hearing back from you and the opportunity to provide you with additional information. In the meantime, you can learn more about the health and environmental effects of Triclosan here, www.beyondpesticides.org/antibacterial/Triclosan.htm.
Thank you for your urgent attention to this matter.
Want to do more?
- Encourage your local schools, government agencies, religious institutions and businesses to use their buying power to go Triclosan-free. Urge your municipality, institution or company to adopt the model resolution which commits to not procuring or using products containing Triclosan.
- Send a letter to Wal-Mart, drafted by The Campaign for Safe Cosmetics, asking the retail giant to take triclsoan off its shelves.
- You can also take action right now, by signing the individual pledge to not use products containing Triclosan. Join the campaign to end the consumer use of this hazardous chemical.