- Public Health Mosquito Management Strategy- For Decision Makers and Communities - Written by Toni Nunez and Shawnee Hoover with the help of experienced staff at Beyond Pesticides, public health officials, mosquito control officers, and environmental health groups. This plan includes the safest and most effective methods of mosquito management to prevent West Nile virus (WNV). Traditional aerial and ground spraying is not only a public health hazard but also a costly and ineffective way to prevent the spread of WNV or other mosquito-borne diseases. This strategy advocates public education, source reduction, surveillance and monitoring, natural controls, and a layered response plan.
- The Truth About West Nile Virus: Bad information and fear lead to dangerous responses - What are the real risks from the disease and the chemical response to it? Here are some facts to fend off the fear.
- DEET and Permethrin: A Dangerous Combination. A Beyond Pesticides review of a groundbreaking study on combined exposure by researchers at Duke University.
- Can Pesticides Have Public Health Benefits? Control of West Nile Virus Sparks Debate on Widespread Pesticide Use Issue overview by Jay Feldman.
- Managing Mosquitoes Without Poisoning People - Local public health officials need to take a close look at how to control West Nile without poisoning people with ineffective and dangerous pesticides.
- What is West Nile Virus? This informative online brochure explains the basics of West Nile virus.
- An Open Letter to Public Officials on Mosquito-Borne Disease Control
- Pesticide Factsheets: DEET; Synthetic Pyrethroids; Malathion; Chlorpyrifos; others
- See also Beyond Pesticides public comments on Mosquito and Insect-Borne Disease issues.
- Public Health Mosquito Management Strategy: For Decision Makers and Communities
- Survey of Mosquito Control Practices and Less-Toxic Alternatives
- Health Effects of Pesticides Used for Mosquito Control
- Overkill (Special editions in CA, ME, CT)
- WNV, Vermont, And Pesticides: A Guide for the Public, Policymakers and News Media
- Pesticides: DEET; Synthetic Pyrethroids; Malathion; Chlorpyrifos; Bt; others. See Bti Report
Platforms and Positions Against Spraying
- National Alliance for Informed Mosquito Management (AIMM) Platform (Beyond Pesticides)
- Resolution on Pesticide Application for Mosquitoes Carrying WNV (CO Sierra Club Chapter)
- Position Statement (Alliance for Sensible Mosquito Management)
- West Nile Virus Position Statement (Green Decade Coalition/Newton, MA)
- Press Release: Safer Options Available for Tackling West Nile Virus
- Effectiveness of Widespread Mosquito Spraying for West Nile Virus In Question
- Court of Appeals reverses decision for environmental and public health organizations to sue the city of New York under the Clean Water Act for the indiscriminate spraying of pesticides to kill mosquitoes
- Press Release: Effectiveness of Widespread Mosquito Spraying for West Nile Virus In Question.
- Statement of Jay Feldman, Executive Director Beyond Pesticides/National Coalition Against the Misuse of Pesticides
- Activists File Lawsuit Seeking Halt To Pesticide Spraying in Light of Threats to Health and Safety, and Legal Violations
- Press Statement of Beyond Pesticides on Filing of Lawsuit Against New York City for Threatening Public Health and Safety with the West Nile Virus Mosquito Spray Program
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Links to state mosquito plans, other CDC Links
- American Mosquito Control Association Links
- Washington State WNV Resources for Local Health Depts