Healthy Hives, Healthy Lives, Healthy Land
Ecological and Organic Strategies for Regeneration
The 35th National Pesticide Forum
April 28-29, 2017
University of Minnesota
Humphrey School of Public Affairs
Thanks to everyone who attended and helped organize the 35th National Pesticide Forum, and a special thanks to our Forum sponsors! Read below for highlights from the event. Forum videos are available to watch on our YouTube channel.
Next Steps and More Information
- Fill out an Evaluation Form
- Sign our petition for Pesticide-Free Communities
- Douglas County Pesticide Ordinance
This years' Forum, Healthy Hives, Healthy Lives, Healthy Land: Ecological and Organic Strategies for Regeneration, focused on the adoption of policies to protect human health and the environment, and organic land and building management strategies. The Forum, with its broad range of speakers and collaborators, provided an opportunity for grassroots advocates, students, scientists, and policy makers to share efforts in building local, state and national strategies for strength and growth.
- Download a flyer of the event to share and distribute!
- Schedule of the program and list of speakers, including their bios, can be found here.
- The full program can be downloaded by clicking here.
- William Arnold, PhD, Distinguished McKnight University Professor and the Joseph T. and Rose S. Ling Professor and Associate Head of the Department of Civil, Environmental, and Geo- Engineering at the University of Minnesota.
- Liz Carlisle, PhD, author of Lentil Underground, which chronicles the sustainable agriculture movement in her home state of Montana.
- Ronnie Cummins, co-founder and International Director, Organic Consumers Association.
- Don Huber, PhD, Professor Emeritus of plant pathology at Purdue University.
- Jack Kloppenburg, PhD, Professor Emeritus, College of Agricultural and Life Sciences, University of Wisconsin-Madison.
- Vera Krischik, PhD, Associate Professor in Department of Entomology at the University of Minnesota.
- Josephine Marcotty, writes about nature and the environment for the Star Tribune in Minneapolis, MN.
- David Montgomery, PhD, MacArthur Fellow and professor of geomorphology at the University of Washington.
- Jeff Moyer, Executive Director of the Rodale Institute.
- Jim Riddle, former chair of the USDA National Organic Standards Board. He and his wife own and operate Blue Fruit Farm, a diversified fruit farm in southeastern Minnesota.
- Robert Shimek, Executive Director of White Earth Land Recovery Project.
- Amy van Saun, JD, Legal Fellow, Center for Food Safety.
- ..... and more!
Co-sponsors included: Pollinator Friendly Alliance, Giving Tree Gardens, Humming for Bees, Kids for Saving Earth, Blue Fruit Farm, Students for Sustainability, Birchwood Cafe, Seward Community Co-op, The Beez Kneez, Midwest Organic and Sustainable Education Services (MOSES), Beyond Pesticides Minnesota, Clean Up the River Environment (CURE), Minnesota Food Association, White Earth Land Recovery Project, Midwest Pesticide Action Center, Pollinate Minnesota, and Pesticide Action Network North America (PANNA).
Videos from Last Year's Forum
Miss out on the Forum? See Beyond Pesticides' Youtube page for videos of all the speakers, panels, and workshop discussions from the 34th National Pesticide Forum! Check out our past conferences here.
If you would like more information about the conference, please email [email protected], or call 202-543-5450.
The generosity of our sponsors helps make for a great event year after year. The sponsors listed below contributed to the 35th National Pesticide Forum scholarship fund, making it possible for people from around the country to participate in one of the most important grassroots pesticide meetings of the year. Learn more about becoming a sponsor.