Gateway on Pesticide Hazards and Safe Pest Management
Back to the Gateway
- Fact Sheets: permethrin.pdf, Synthetic Pyrethroids.pdf
- Product Names:
- Chemical Class: Synthetic pyrethroid insecticide
- Uses: Food/feed crops, livestock and livestock housing, modes of transportation, structures, buildings (including food handling establishments), public health mosquito abatement programs, residential use sites including use in outdoor and indoor spaces, pets, and clothing (impregnated and ready to use formulations).
- Alternatives: Organic agriculture, Least-toxic insect control, Least-toxic mosquito control
- Beyond Pesticides rating:
Health and Environmental Effects
- Cancer: Likely ()
- Endocrine Disruption: Yes ()
- Reproductive Effects: Yes ()
- Neurotoxicity: Yes ()
- Kidney/Liver Damage: Yes ()
- Sensitizer/ Irritant: Yes ()
- Birth/Developmental: Not documented
- Detected in Groundwater: Yes ()
- Potential Leacher: Not documented
- Toxic to Birds: Not documented
- Toxic to Fish/Aquatic Organisms: Yes ()
- Toxic to Bees: Yes ()
Residential Uses as Found in the ManageSafe™ Database
- Regulatory Status:
- Supporting information:
- Behavioural disorders in 6-year-old children and pyrethroid insecticide exposure: the PELAGIE mother–child cohort. Viel, JF, Rouget,F et al. 2017. Occup Environ Med. 74(4):275-281
- Association of pyrethroid pesticide exposure with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder in a nationally representative sample of U.S. children. Wagner-Schuman M, Richardson JR, Auinger P, et al. 2015. Environ Health.14:44.
- Neurodevelopmental disorders and prenatal residential proximity to agricultural pesticides: the CHARGE study. Shelton JF, Geraghty EM, Tancredi DJ, et al. 2014. Environ Health Perspect. 122(10):1103-9.
- Subchronic dermal application of N,N-diethyl m-toluamide (DEET) and permethrin to adult rats, alone or in combination, causes diffuse neuronal cell death and cytoskeletal abnormalities in the cerebral cortex and the hippocampus, and Purkinje neuron loss in the cerebellum. Abdel-Rahman, A. et. al. 2001 Exp Neurol. 172(1):153-71.