Gateway on Pesticide Hazards and Safe Pest Management
How To Find Ingredients in Pesticide Products
Beyond Pesticides offers resources below to evaluate the health and ecological effects of specific chemical exposure from ACTIVE INGREDIENTS in pesticide products, as well as regulatory information and supporting scientific documents. Because various pesticide products can contain more than one active ingredient, it is important to READ the LABEL to determine chemical components.
With 192 different active ingredients and counting, it is essential to establish the connection between the use of these chemicals and their respective hazards.
View the step-by-step guide on how to search for the active ingredient(s) in pesticide products below:
- Go to U.S. EPA's Pesticide Product and Label System and enter the product name. The generic product name may vary.
- After searching, click on the chemical ingredients tab or the link for the most recent label to find Active Ingredients.
Chemical List Label List
If one selects the chemical ingredients tab, skip to Step 4 . If not, proceed to step number 3
- To find the active ingredient(s) on the label, search for the page in the document containing the date of registration. Usually, the active ingredients section occurs within the first few pages of the label document.
- Return to the Beyond Pesticides Gateway and search for the active ingredient name in the yellow box to the right or from the list below.
Imazamox is formulated both as an acid and as an isopropylamine salt.
- Product Names:
- Chemical Class: Imidazolinone Herbicide
- Uses: A selective terrestrial and aquatic broad-spectrum herbicide used for post-emergence control of broadleaf weeds and grass in alfalfa, edible legumes, and soybeans.
- Alternatives: Organic Agriculture, Organic lawn care
- Beyond Pesticides rating: Toxic
Health and Environmental Effects
- Cancer: Possible (124)
- Endocrine Disruption: Not documented
- Reproductive Effects: Possible (129)
- Neurotoxicity: Possible (126, 127)
- Kidney/Liver Damage: Possible (128)
- Sensitizer/ Irritant: Not Likely (121)
- Birth/Developmental: Not Likely (121)
- Detected in Groundwater: Yes (123, 125)
- Potential Leacher: Yes (121, 123)
- Toxic to Birds: Low (121)
- Toxic to Fish/Aquatic Organisms: Yes (123, 125)
- Toxic to Bees: Yes (122)
- Regulatory Status:
- Supporting information:
- SAFETY DATA SHEET for Alligare IMOX™ Herbicide (Alligare, LLC)
- Ecological risk assessment evaluating Imazamox (PC 129171) for the proposed new use on Clearfield rice (imidazolonone-tolerant rice). DP Barcode 348399 (PDF, 85 pp, 5MB) (EPA)
- Pesticide Database -- Imazamox (Pesticide Action Network)
- Imazamox Chemical Fact Sheet (Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources)
- Toxicity of the herbicides used on herbicide-tolerant crops, and societal consequences of their use in France. Bourdineaud, J.P., 2020.Drug and Chemical Toxicology, pp.1-24.
- Sub-lethal effects of herbicides penoxsulam, imazamox, fluridone and glyphosate on Delta Smelt (Hypomesus transpacificus) Jin, J., Kurobe, T., Ramírez-Duarte, W.F., Bolotaolo, M.B., Lam, C.H., Pandey, P.K., Hung, T.C., Stillway, M.E., Zweig, L., Caudill, J. and Lin, L., 2018. Aquatic Toxicology, 197, pp.79-88.