Gateway on Pesticide Hazards and Safe Pest Management
Updated April 2020
- Fact Sheet: bp-fact-glyosphate.082017.pdf
- Product Names:
- Chemical Class: Phosphanoglycine herbicide
- Uses: Non selective herbicide, or at low rates a plant growth regulator
- Alternatives: Organic agriculture, Organic land managment
- Beyond Pesticides rating: Toxic
Health and Environmental Effects
- Cancer: Yes (3, 6, 70)
- Endocrine Disruption: Yes (7)
- Reproductive Effects: Yes (13, 8)
- Neurotoxicity: Yes (74)
- Kidney/Liver Damage: Yes (7)
- Sensitizer/ Irritant: Yes (8)
- Birth/Developmental: Yes (75)
- Detected in Groundwater: Yes (78)
- Potential Leacher: Not documented
- Toxic to Birds: Yes (73)
- Toxic to Fish/Aquatic Organisms: Yes (4)
- Toxic to Bees: Yes (76, 77)
Residential Uses as Found in the ManageSafe™ Database
- Regulatory Status:
- Beyond Pesticides' Draft Human Health and Ecological Risk Assessments for Glyphosate comments (04/2018)
- Draft Human Health and Ecological Risk Assessments for Glyphosate (2017)
- Revised Glyphosate Issue Paper: Evaluation of Carcinogenic Potential (2017)
- Beyond Pesticides' Evaluation of the Carcinogenic Potential comments (10/2016)
- Glyphosate Listed Effective July 7, 2017, as Known to the State of California to Cause Cancer (OEHHA, 2017)
- Beyond Pesticides' Notice of Intent to List (California) comments (10/2015)
- Beyond Pesticides' Enlist Duo registration comments (12/2016)
- EPA Meeting Materials for the December 13-16, 2016 Scientific Advisory Panel on the Carcinogenic Potential of Glyphosate.
- Registration of Enlist Duo (EPA, 2014)
- FInal work plan for Glyphosate Registration review (2009)
- EPA Reregistration Eligibility Decision (RED) signed (9/1993)
- Supporting information:
- Daily News Blog
- Report- Glyphosate: Unsafe on Any Plate
- Beyond Pesticides' letter to EPA calling for residue testing (12/2015)
- Agricultural Uses of Antibiotics Escalate Bacterial Resistance (Pesticides and You, Winter 2016-2017)
- Asthma, Children and Pesticides (Beyond Pesticides)
- Children & Lawn Chemicals Don't Mix (Beyond Pesticides)
- GMO Factsheet (Beyond Pesticides)
- NCAP Glyphosate Factsheet (Northwest Coalition for Alternatives to Pesticides)
- PAN Pesticides Database:Glyphosate (Pesticide Action Network)
- Scorecard Glyphosate Factsheet (Environmental Defense Fund)
- PAN UK Glyphosate Factsheet (Pesticide Action Network UK)
- CHEJ Glyphosate Factsheet (Children's Health Environmental Coalition)
- EPA Technical Factsheet
- Exposure to Glyphosate-Based Herbicides and Risk for Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma: A Meta-Analysis and Supporting Evidence. Zhang, L., Rana, I., Taioli, E., Shaffer, R.M. and Sheppard, L., 2019. Mutation Research/Reviews in Mutation Research.
- Multiomics reveal non-alcoholic fatty liver disease in rats following chronic exposure to an ultra-low dose of Roundup herbicide. Mesnage, R, Renney, G, Seralini, GE, et al. 2017. Scientific Reports 7, Article number: 39328
- Glyphosate pathways to modern diseases V: Amino acid analogue of glycine in diverse proteins. Samsel, A, Seneff, S. 2016. J Biological Physics and Chemistry.16:9-46
- IARC Classification of Glyphosate as a "probable" carcinogen (2015).
Read the Daily News Blog
- Transcriptome profile analysis reflects rat liver and kidney damage following chronic ultra-low dose Roundup exposure. Mesnage, R, Arno, M, Contanzo, M et al., 2015. Environmental Health 14:70.
- Glyphosate Formulations Induce Apoptosis and Necrosis in Human Umbilical, Embryonic, and Placental Cells. Benachour, et al. 2009. Chem. Res. Toxicol. 22 (1), pp 97–105.
- Do Pesticides Affect Learning Behavior? The neuro-endocrine-immune connection. Porter, Warren. 2004. Pesticides and You (Beyond Pesticides)
- A Case–Control Study of Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma and Exposure to Pesticides Journal of the American Cancer Society, 1999.
- Glyphosate formulations induce apoptosis and necrosis in human umbilical, embryonic, and placental cells. Benachour N, Séralini GE. Chemical Research in Toxicology. 2009 Jan;22(1):97-105
- Top 15 Farmworker Poison
- A comparison of temporal trends in United States autism prevalence to trends in suspected environmental factors.. Nevison, CD. 2014. Environ Health.13:73.
- An assessment of the acute dietary exposure to glyphosate using deterministic and probabilistic methods.. Stephenson CL, Harris CA, Clarke R. 2018. Food Addit Contam Part A Chem Anal Control Expo Risk Assess. 35(2):258-272
- An exploratory analysis of the effect of pesticide exposure on the risk of spontaneous abortion in an Ontario farm population.. Arbuckle,TE, Lin, Z and Mery, LS. 2001. Environ Health Perspect. 109(8): 851–857.
- Assessment of Glyphosate Induced Epigenetic Transgenerational Inheritance of Pathologies and Sperm Epimutations: Generational Toxicology. Kubsad, D., Nilsson, E.E., King, S.E., Sadler-Riggleman, I., Beck, D. and Skinner, M.K., 2019. Scientific reports, 9(1), pp.1-17.
- Prenatal and infant exposure to ambient pesticides and autism spectrum disorder in children: population based case-control study. von Ehrenstein, et al. 2019. BMJ 2019;364:l962
- Biomonitoring of Danish school children and mothers including biomarkers of PBDE and glyphosate.. Knudsen LE, Hansen PW, Mizrak S, Hansen HK, Mørck TA, et al. 2017. Rev Environ Health. 32(3):279-290
- Birth defects, season of conception, and sex of children born to pesticide applicators living in the Red River Valley of Minnesota, USA.. Garry, V.F. et al. 2002. Environ. Health Persp. 110 (Suppl. 3):441-449
- Characterising glyphosate exposures among amenity horticulturists using multiple spot urine samples.. Connolly A, Basinas I, Jones K, Galea KS, et al. 2018. Int J Hyg Environ Health. 221(7):1012-1022
- Combined effects of repeated administration of Bretmont Wipeout (glyphosate) and Ultrazin (atrazine) on testosterone, oxidative stress and sperm quality of Wistar rats.. Abarikwu SO, Akiri OF, et al. 2015. Toxicol Mech Methods.25(1):70-80.
- Cytotoxicity on human cells of Cry1Ab and Cry1Ac Bt insecticidal toxins alone or with a glyphosate‐based herbicide. . Mesnage, R., Clair, E., Gress, S., Then, C., Székács, A. and Séralini, G.E., 2013. Journal of Applied Toxicology, 33(7), pp.695-699.
- Differential Effects of Glyphosate and Roundup on Human Placental Cells and Aromatase. Richard S., et al. 2005. Environmental Health Perspectives, 113(6).
- Early-life chemical exposures and risk of metabolic syndrome.. De Long NE, Holloway AC. 2017. Diabetes Metab Syndr Obes. 10:101-109.
- Effects of melatonin in rats in the initial third stage of pregnancy exposed to sub-lethal doses of herbicides.. Almeida LL, Teixeira ÁAC, Soares AF, Cunha FMD, et al. Acta Histochem. 119(3):220-227.
- Environmental and health effects of the herbicide glyphosate.. Van Bruggen AHC, He MM, Shin K, Mai V, Jeong KC, Finckh MR, Morris JG Jr. 2018. Sci Total Environ. 16-617:255-268
- Glyphosate poisoning - a case report. Kunapareddy, T. and Kalisetty, S., 2021. Journal of Postgraduate Medicine.
- Cellular injury leading to oxidative stress in acute poisoning with potassium permanganate/oxalic acid, paraquat, and glyphosate surfactant herbicide. Wijerathna, T.M., Mohamed, F., Gawarammana, I.B., Wunnapuk, K., Dissanayake, D.M., Shihana, F. and Buckley, N.A., 2020. Environmental toxicology and pharmacology, 80, p.103510.