Gateway on Pesticide Hazards and Safe Pest Management
Back to the Gateway
- Product Names:
- Chemical Class: Chloroacetanilide herbicide
- Uses: Control of grass and grasslike weeds and broadleaf weeds on terrestrial food crops: cabbage, pepper, radish and stone fruits; terrestrial food and feed crops: corn, cotton, legume vegetables, peanuts, peas, potato, safflower, sorghum, soybeans, treenuts, alfalfa (feed only); terrestrial non-food crops and outdoor residential: Rights-of-Way, golf courses, recreational areas and lawns, nonbearing fruits, ornamental and/or shade trees, ornamental plants and flowers, residential lawns; forest trees.
- Alternatives: Organic agriculture
- Beyond Pesticides rating:
Health and Environmental Effects
- Cancer: Possible ()
- Endocrine Disruption: Suspected ()
- Reproductive Effects: Yes ()
- Neurotoxicity: Not documented
- Kidney/Liver Damage: Yes ()
- Sensitizer/ Irritant: Yes ()
- Birth/Developmental: Not documented
- Detected in Groundwater: Frequently ()
- Potential Leacher: Not documented
- Toxic to Birds: Not documented
- Toxic to Fish/Aquatic Organisms: Yes ()
- Toxic to Bees: Not documented
- Regulatory Status:
- Supporting information:
- Assessment of genetic effects and pesticide exposure of farmers in NW Greece. Moshou, H., Karakitsou, A., Yfanti, F., Hela, D., Vlastos, D., Paschalidou, A.K., Kassomenos, P. and Petrou, I., 2020. Environmental Research, p.109558.
- Cancer incidence among pesticide applicators exposed to metolachlor in the Agricultural Health Study. Rusiecki, J.A., et al. 2006. Int J Cancer 118(12):3118-3123.