s
s s

FacebookTwitterYoutubeRSS

spacer s spacer

Denatonium Saccharide
Beyond Pesticides Rating: Toxic

Denatonium saccharide (DNS), or benzidlethyl methyl ammonium saccharide, is the active ingredient for Ro-pelTM, a taste repellent for pest animals and birds, manufactured by Burlington Biomedical and Scientific Corp. DNS ( 0.065%) and the essential oil of thyme, thymol ( 0.035%), make up just 0.1% of the total product in Ro-pelTM. The other 99.9% of Ro-pelTM are inerts, which are not required to be listed by the manufacturer. Please see ‘Pesticide Ingredients’ for information and potential hazards associated with these unknown ingredients. 

Thymol is used for fungi and bacteria control, as well as many non-pesticide uses in cosmetics, pharmaceutical preparations, food flavorings and perfumes (U.S. EPA 1993). 

DNS is classified as a class III toxicity pesticide, on a scale of I to IV, I being the highest toxicity class (FCH 2000). According to toxicology studies performed by the manufacturer, 1g/kg of DNS has shown to produce weakness, gasping and imbalance in mice. The acute oral LD50 (lethal dose for 50% of the test population) for rabbits is 1.39g/kg. It can cause skin and eye irritation and the label instructs the user not to spray DNS anywhere indoors (Burlington Biomedical & Scientific Corp 2000). 

Resources:

Burlington Biomedical & Scientific Corp. 2001. Specimen Label Ro-pelTM.  Farmingdale, NY. <www.dragonchemical.com/slanimalrodentbird.htm>. 

Burlington Biomedical & Scientific Corp. 2000. Toxicology of denatonium saccharide. Farmingdale, NY. <www.burlingtoncorp.com/s_toxicity.htm>. 

Farm Chemicals Handbook 2000 (FCH). 2000. Meister Publishing Company. Willoughby, OH. 

U.S. EPA. 1993. Reregistration Eligibility Document: Thymol. Office of Pesticide Programs. Washington, DC. <http://www.epa.gov/oppsrrd1/REDs/index_h2z.html#T>.